An antebellum home in south Arkansas. A Civil War battlefield in the northwest. An Indian mound in the Delta. A cemetery on Crowley’s Ridge. A post office or a courthouse in the central part of the state. These are the places that define us as a state and a people. And the Arkansas Historic Preservation, an agency of the Division of Arkansas Heritage, works to see that these places will be around for future generations to enjoy.
The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program documents and registers the state’s cultural resource treasures, and provides grants and technical assistance to help the guardians of these places ensure their survival. Through the Main Street Arkansas program, the AHPP works to bring new vitality to the historic commercial centers that serve as economic development generators in their communities. The agency works with federal, state and local government agencies to protect the past even as we work together toward a prosperous future. And the AHPP offers tours, workshops and publications to foster new understanding and appreciation of the places that provide us with tangible links to our past. The Jacob Wolf House Historic Site is an AHPP property preserving, protecting, and promoting the integrity of the early Ozark frontier. The 1829 Wolf House is the oldest public structure in Arkansas and is listed on the national register of historic places. The National Park Service documented in 2012 that it is “the last remaining two-story dog-trot public structure in the United States.”
The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program looks forward to working with all the people of Arkansas and beyond to identify, protect and promote our special places – our Arkansas places.