Arkansas | Ashley | Baxter | Benton | Boone | Bradley | Calhoun | Carroll | Chicot | Clark | Clay | Cleburne | Cleveland | Columbia | Conway | Craighead | Crawford | Crittenden | Cross
Arkansas County encompassed most of eastern Arkansas in 1813, when it was named a county by the Territorial Legislature of Missouri after an American Indian settlement, the Arkansas. Within its borders area the White and Arkansas rivers. Its land is used for agriculture and the first settlement was the French establishment of Arkansas Post in 1686. In 1819, the Post was named the new seat of government for Arkansas and remained there until 1821. The first newspaper in Arkansas, The Arkansas Gazette, was printed by William Woodruff in 1819. The first county seat was at Arkansas Post, but was moved to DeWitt in 1855. Communities include DeWitt, Stuttgart and Humphrey.
Located in southeast Arkansas, Ashley County was created in 1848 from a part of Drew County. The community of Hamburg is its county seat. It is named for Chester Ashley, a U.S. Senator and land speculator. Cotton, corn, clover, alfalfa, wheat, peanuts, potatoes and fruits are grown in the county. Crossett, Fountain Hill, Hamburg and Parkdale are its main communities.
Created in 1873 from Fulton, Izard, Marion and Searcy counties, Baxter County was named for Gov. Elisha Baxter of Batesville. One of the oldest structures in Arkansas, the Jacob Wolf House, can be found in Baxter County. Mountain Home is its county seat and the communities of Cotter and Norfork are found within its boundaries.
In the extreme northwest corner of the state lies Benton County. Created in 1836 from lands in Washington County, it was named after Thomas Hart Benton, the prominent U.S. Senator from Missouri. The county seat is at Bentonville. In 1862, the largest battle of the Civil War in Arkansas was fought at Elkhorn Tavern at Pea Ridge. Benton County is the home of the founder of Wal-Mart, Sam Walton, as well as the home of the trucking firm, J.B. Hunt. It is an area of Arkansas that continues to grow rapidly. The communities of Rogers, Gravette, Siloam Springs, Bella Vista, Centerton, War Eagle and Gentry are the largest.
Gov. Powell Clayton created this county in 1869 with land from Carroll and Madison counties in the northwestern corner of the state. It is named after noted Kentuckian explorer, Daniel Boone. Harrison is the county seat. Zinc, lead, manganese and stone were mined within the area and helped to create mining comminutes. The Missouri and North Arkansas Railroad went through Boone County and establish Harrison as one of its major trade centers in the late 1800s. The communities of Alpena, Lead Hill, Bellefonte and Omaha can be found in the area.
Located in south Arkansas, Bradley County was created in 1840 from Union County. It features three water sources - the Saline River and Moro and Eagle Creeks. The county was named after Hugh Bradley, an officer who served at the Battle of New Orleans with General Andrew Jackson. The county seat is located at Warren, which is the largest town in the county. Today, Bradley County is known for its world-famous tomatoes. Hermitage and Warren are its largest communities.
In 1850, Richard Byrd, acting governor, created Calhoun County from parts of Dallas and Ouachita counties. It was named Calhoun in honor of the South Carolina statesman and supporter of nullification, John C. Calhoun. The county seat is located at Hampton.
In 1823, Carroll County was created from Izard County and named in honor of Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The White River flows through the county. The first seat of government was Carrollton until 1880 when Berryville took its place. In the late 1800s, the railroads came to Carroll County and brought with them tourists who enjoyed the community of Eureka Springs. Today, this is still a resort area. Berryville, Eureka Springs and Green Forest are its major communities.
In the extreme southeastern corner of Arkansas is Chicot County. It was created in 1823 from Arkansas County and named Point Chicot. Columbia was the first county seat until 1855 when Masona was chosen. In 1857, the county seat was moved to Lake Village, where it remains today. The area supports agricultural endeavors, such as cotton and soybeans. Dermott, Eudora, and Lake Village are among its largest communities.
In 1818, the Territorial Legislature of Missouri named Clark in southwest Arkansas as one of the first counties. It was named for William Clark, governor of the Missouri Territory. The Caddo, Little Missouri and Ouachita rivers flow through the county. The first county seat was at the home of Jacob Barkman until 1825 when it was moved to Biscoeville. In 1827, the government moved to Adam Stroud's home and then to Greenville in 1830 before settling at Arkadelphia in 1842. Settlement in Clark County began as early as 1811. Arkadelphia and Gurdon are its largest town. Each year, thousands of visitors arrive to visit Lake DeGray State Park and students attend the two universities, Henderson State and Ouachita Baptist. Amity, Arkadelphia and Gurdon are among its major communities.
Created in 1873, Clay County was originally named "Clayton," in honor of John Clayton, a member of the state senate. In 1875, the "t," "o" and "n" were dropped and the named changed to Clay. It is located in the northeastern corner of the state. The first county seat was located at Boydsville and moved to Corning in 1881. Today, Clay County has two county seats: Corning for the Western District and Piggott for the Eastern District. In Piggott, a home of writer Ernest Hemingway stands. It is where he wrote the novel, "A Farewell to Arms." Major communities include Rector, Corning and Piggott.
Named after Civil War general, Patrick R. Cleburne of Helena, Cleburne County it is the youngest of the 75 counties in Arkansas. Created in 1883, it is in the northcentral part of the state and features the Little Red River, farming, raising of livestock and recreational activities at Greers Ferry Lake. The first county seat was located at Sugarloaf, but later moved to Heber Springs. Towns of note include Heber Springs, Quitman, Shiloh, Concord, West Side and Wilburn.
Located in the southeastern corner of Arkansas, Cleveland County was created in 1873 and first called Dorsey County in honor of Stephen Dorsey, a U.S. Senator from Arkansas. The name was changed in 1885 to Cleveland in honor of President Grover Cleveland. The residence of N.V. Barnett was its first county seat until 1872 when it moved to Toledo. In 1889, the seat moved to Rison. Communities in the county include Rison, Kingsland, New Edinburg and Woodlawn.
In 1852, Gov. Elias Conway approved the addition of Columbia County from lands in Hempstead, Lafayette, Ouachita and Union counties. Located in southwest Arkansas, its county seat is at Magnolia. Railroads, lumbering interests, farming and trade provided early income. Today, Southern Arkansas University is housed at Magnolia. Communities in Columbia County include Emerson, McNeil, Waldo, Walker, Magnolia and Taylor.
In 1825, a county was named after Henry Conway, noted politician and land surveyor. Taken from land in Pulaski County, Cadron was named the seat of government until 1873 when Lewisburg (later renamed Morrilton) was designated. The county is centrally located within the state and is in the Arkansas River Valley and features Petit Jean State Park. Cleveland, Morrilton, Nemo Vista, Wonderview and Plummerville are a few of Conway County's towns.
In the northeastern part of Arkansas is Craighead County. Created in 1859, Craighead County contains the geographic feature of Crowley's Ridge and agricultural farmlands. The county seat is Jonesboro. Jonesboro, Nettleton, Bono, Monette, Lake City, Valley View and Westside are towns of note.
Created from parts of Pulaski County, Crawford County was formed in western Arkansas in 1820 and named after William Crawford, U.S. secretary of war in 1815. When Crawford County was created, it contained a large part of what is now the State of Oklahoma. The seat of government is at Van Buren. Towns of noted population include Van Buren, Alma, Cedarville, Mulberry, Mountainburg and Rudy.
Named for Robert Crittenden, the first secretary of the Arkansas Territory in 1825. Crittenden County features rich agricultural lands. The first white settler to arrive in the area was from Holland. He settled at Foy's Point across from present-day Memphis around 1802. The town of Hopefield was settled around 1804 and later renamed West Memphis. The county seat is at Marion. Communities of note include West Memphis, Earle, Marion and Turrell.
Named for Edward Cross, a territorial judge and a founder of the Cairo and Fulton Railroad, Cross County was established in 1862 in east central Arkansas. The lands of Cross County are rich agricultural farmlands. The county seat is at Wynne. Cherry Valley, Wynne, Parkin and Vanndale are thriving communities.
Counties By Letter
A-C | D-J | L-M | N-R | S-Z
- Back to Top -
©2015 Department of Arkansas Heritage. All Rights Reserved Aristotle Web Design ®