Robert Brownlee built this Federal style brick house in the late 1840s for his brother and sister-in-law. Brownlee had the wooden mantels in the parlor and bedroom marbleized, a popular decorative art of the time. The home's furnishings, some of which belonged to lawyer and writer C.F.M. Noland, reflect the mid-19th century. Noland is believed to have lived in the house in the 1850s.
Jesse Hinderliter, a man of German descent, began what is now Little Rock's oldest building, the Hinderliter Grog Shop, as a log structure in 1826. It was his home and business, where he lived with his wife and two slaves until his death in 1834. Popular folklore associates the building with the last meeting of the territorial legislature of 1835.
Red oak logs and cypress flooring were used in the grog shop's construction. The clapboard siding and porch were later additions. Inside, the hand-carved federal mantel in the formal dining room shows that style was important, even in a log house on the frontier.
The Lakeport plantation house, Arkansas's sole surviving antebellum plantation structure, reflects a time in the Delta when cotton was king. Visit the Lakeport web site, currently under construction, to learn more about the building, the people, the society, and the environment of Arkansas plantation life.
James McVicar built this wooden house, using white oak logs and square pegs, on the same block his friend Robert Brownlee built a brick home. Their homes follow the symmetrical 1840s style with a large central hall bordered by two rooms of equal size. It is a sophisticated version of the "double pen" log house seen across Second Street.
The written history of this home begins in 1856. In that year it was found abandoned and in need of repair in order to house the Pemberton family, who had just moved from North Carolina. The house may date to the 1830s. It is built of logs from ancient cypress and has brick chimneys--few stones are found in the Delta where it was built. The house is a "double pen" or "double dogtrot" st yle.
Originally located on Plum Bayou, near the farming community of Scott, the house was moved 20 miles to the Historic Arkansas Museum in the 1970s. It is the museum's hands-on education center, where Arkansas school children experience pioneer activities firsthand.
The Log House is open to the general public during open house special events. It also houses the museum's Log House and Pioneer Day Camp educational programs.
©2014 Department of Arkansas Heritage. All Rights Reserved Aristotle Web Design ®