Blog

Blog

Mt. Hebron Cemetery

Cemeteries of Arkansas: Mt. Hebron Cemetery is located in the small community of Colville, approximately three and half miles west of Lowell in Benton County. In addition to 252 historic marked burials and 97 non-historic marked burials, there are also 92 historic marked and unmarked burials that are undated. A large number of burials are pioneers associated with the founding of the community of Colville. The cemetery dates back to creation of the church's membership in 1872. The first marked burial belongs to Marion Clemme who died on September 11.There are two other burials for that year. The date of 1872 coincides with the warranty used for the entire property. The cemetery is rectangular in shape and lies just west of Mt. Hebron Road. 

There are many types of markers throughout the cemetery, including several native stone markers, obelisks, militarymarkers and marble tombstones. One cement marker is in the shape of a cat. It is not known if a cat is buried there, or if it represents a favorite pet of someone buried there. There are two large obelisks located close to each other near the center of the cemetery that mark the graves of A.J. McCuistion, a founder of the church and Julius Roberson, a Confederate veteran. Read the entire National Register nomination, hosted online by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program.