Blog

Blog

DAH Oct. Blog: Who Was Jacob Wolf?

Department of Arkansas Heritage - Monday, October 02, 2017

In 2016, the Department of Arkansas Heritage (DAH) acquired the Jacob Wolf House Site and Territorial Courthouse from the Baxter County Quorum Court. The Jacob Wolf House is Arkansas’s oldest public structure and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973. But, why is this site important? Who was Jacob Wolf?


Photo courtesy of www.ArkansasPreservation.com

Jacob Wolf was a merchant, builder of log structures, carpenter and blacksmith. In 1826, when Arkansas was still a territory, he was elected as a representative to the General Assembly. In 1829, he constructed the two-story dogtrot structure as the “first permanent courthouse for Izard County,” according to the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. The building’s strategic placement, directly above the confluence of the White and North Fork Rivers, made it a hub for information, a way-finding landmark, a river port, a center of trade and a seat of justice throughout the years. He also handled the mail within the same building, making his property the Post Office as well. He juggled trade on the river, court matters in the town and traded fur, among other things. Jacob Wolf was at the center of it all.


On October 17, 2017, Governor Asa Hutchinson and Department of Arkansas Heritage Director Stacy Hurst will reveal the preservation and renovation plans for the site. There will be a public reception at 2 p.m. to preview the plans and officially welcome the site as a DAH property. For more information on the Jacob Wolf House, visit www.jacobwolfhouse.com.